Monday 10 February 2014

ALL ABOUT MY OMBRÈ HAIR EXPERIENCE!


Well it's midnight here in London and I was looking back on some old photos from summer 2013 the peak of my dip dye experimenting! And for the whole year of 2013 I had switched my all dark locks for a ombre dip dye! I thought would share how I achieved my ombre look for those who may be thinking to ombre their hair. 

The process from dark mid/ ends to ombrè: 
As most of you girls out there with dark hair will know, changing from very dark hair to light hair is no easy process and can take it's toll on your hair. Hair salons wanted a ridiculous sum of money to switch up my dark locks! Most salons use the bleaching method to eliminate dark hair. That was something I was not willing to do as it had taken me so long to grow my hair to the length I wanted, I was not going to risk having half my hair cut off due to bleach damage.

So I decided to take the DIY route! It wasn't too hard to find drugstore ombre hair packs as ombre/ dip dye styles were really booming! Every girl had some sort of dip dye and it had become a phenomenon on Tumblr and was classed as the summer must have look! I didn't want to miss out! And for a while I wanted to give my dark locks some BOOM! As I wasn't a fan of the bleaching method, I set out to find a home ombre pack that didn't use hair bleach. At last one day shopping for makeup in Boots I found this...

L'ORÉAL's Wild Ombrè Hair Kit!!! There are three different Ombre shades available from this range. The shades are suitable for those with light blonde hair to medium or light browns all the way to darkest browns and blacks. The one pictured above is used for the darkest of hair colors! My hair is very dark brown and sometimes is mistaken for black so this particular one pictured above was perfect for me. Due to my thick hair I had to purchase two packs :( 
L'ORÉAL's Wild Ombrè Kit priced at £7. This price was fair considering some hair salons wanted me to pay them £100-£150 to bleach the fuck out of my hair!  

Using the Wild Ombrè Hair Kit:
Before applying the dye I mixed the formular very well to ensure a better result. The Wild Ombrè pack comes with a small expert brush that helps brush the product right through all the hair strands and creats a faded and subtle effect on the top and mid section of the hair then a more vibrant and dramatic look for the ends which is the traditional Ombrè look. 
I sectioned my hair and placed small amounts of product onto the expert brush and brushed it thoroughly through starting from my mid section ( same level as my ears) and worked the brush right down to my ends. Once I had completed all the sectioned hair I still had more product left over and went over all of my ends one last time as the dye began to adhere it became very hard and uncomfortable to brush the expert brush though my hair it hurt on occasions when applying more product to my mid section. Loreal advise to leave the ombre formular on your hair for roughly 40-45 minutes I however left mine on for 50 as my hair was so dark I was determined to have ombre hair! After my 50 minutes was done I thoroughly rinsed the formular off (it took about 5 mins to wash out) I then applied Tresemme's Luxiourous Moisture Conditoner generously through the areas where the dip dye formular had been applied. I brushed the conditioner through my hair to ensure each strand was covered I left the Conditoner to soak into my hair for 5 minutes then rinsed it off. 
I used L'ORÉAL's Extorinary Hair Oil onto my wet hair and combed it through, during this time I was feeling a little disheartened as I couldn't see any changes to my hair :( after 2 minutes of allowing the hair oil to adhere to my hair I generously sprayed Tresemme's heat protection mist onto my hair as later I blow dryed and straightned my locks.

Once my hair was fully dry and styled I couldn't believe it...I had ombre hair! I was so happy I took a picture! For the first time I had some sort of light colored hair! It however looked a little ginger but my hair was pretty dark to begin with. This is my after photo of my hair the day it was ombred for the first time! 


Changing my ombre shade!:
Of course me being me I wasn't satisfied the first time round! I decided that I wanted my ombre to look more of a dusty blonde/ Drew Barrymore kind of color. So I used Garnier's Olia Hair dye in the color Dark Blonde 7 priced at £7. I combed the product through my already dip dyed areas and left the product to set for 35 minutes before rinsing. I was so happy with the final result! It was the ombre shade I had desired! FYI to get this shade with Garnier's Olia hair dye I used the hair dye kit twice on two separate occasions following the same steps I mentioned above. Due to the two applications my hair was left in a very dry condition, I found myself frequently using hair masks and hair repair oils to replenish the damaged hair. After 5 months passing I had no dramatic results and took a hard call and walked into Toni & Guy and had four inches of my hair cut off!!! I was heartbroken! But happy at the same time as the ends of my hair felt so soft and looked so healthy as the previous damaged ends had been cut off and the rest of the hair had a long hot oil treatment. I do recommend L'ORÉAL's Ombrè Kit as it doesn't consist of any bleach and ombres your hair in the healthiest possibly way. Where I went wrong is I applied two blonde coats of dye on to my hair in such a short period of time that it took a toll on my hair! My hair wasn't used to being dyed that much. L'ORÉAL's Extorinary Oil did really help me through thoses dry end times of my ombre hair experience and helped prevent further damaged that could of be caused.


My hair color and length after hair cut and Garnier Olia hair dye.


My current hair color and condition:
As autumn drew a close and winter made it's dramatic entrance here in England, I came to the conclusion that my light ombre was too "summery" and needed a tone down suitable for the season as well as giving my hair a break. In November I dyed my hair a dark ash brown that didn't look too dark but also was light enough to see and give a subtle edgy winter look to my hair. Dying my dip dye a few shades darker really gave  the bottom of my hair it's shine back. And it looked a lot healthier! I loved my ombre so much that I will dip dye again in May! Because my current dip dye/ dark ombre is a lot lighter than my first original hair color, it will be very easy to re dye my ombre light which in turn avoids damage. 
This is the current color of my hair.


If you have already dip dyed your hair or bleached your hair or just in general damaged your hair due to heat and styling, look on my blog for my top 3 hair repair product post! It will give you the best available products that help damaged hair and they really helped me out through my dry hair period. I hoped this post has helped those who may be thinking of dip dying their hair in the near future! Remember try to avoid harsh chemicals such as hair bleach it will cause significant damage especially to dark hair! 

Thank you for reading 
Xoxoxox 

No comments:

Post a Comment